WWW2008.org) is currently finishing in Beijing, China. There are some interesting papers this year. Thankfully, the Great Firewall of China doesn’t prevent these papers reaching the rest of the world. It’s One World, One Web (allegedly). Here are some brief highlights from the conference.The seventeenth international World Wide Web conference (
- In RESTful Web Services vs. Big Web Services: Making the Right Architectural Decision, Cesare Pautasso, Olaf Zimmermann and Frank Leymann, claim to be able to objectify the WS-* vs. REST debate by giving a “quantitative technical comparison based on architectural principles and decisions”. It’s an interesting read, especially if you find Big Web Services “bloated opaque and insanely complex”.
- In Investigating Web Services on the World Wide Web Eyhab Al-Masri and Qusay H. Mahmoud from the University of Guelph describe some interesting results from their Web Service Crawler Engine (WSCE). They outline some of the problems of building service registries and offer some solutions too.
- Also, in Wishful Search: Interactive Composition of Data Mashups Anton V. Riabov, Eric Bouillet, Mark D. Feblowitz, Zhen Liu and Anand Ranganathan from the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center describe Mashup Automation with Runtime Orchestration and Invocation (MARIO), a new tool for composing Yahoo! Pipes! style mashups on the web.
In parallel to the main sessions, the W3C Health Care and Life Sciences Interest Group (HCLSIG) held a successful workshop chaired by Susie Stephens and Ivan Herman has blogged about another Semantic Web session here. For a full description of WWW2008, see the program overview. Next year WWW2009.org will be in Madrid, Spain.
- Liping Wei and Jun Yu  Bioinformatics in China: A personal perspective PLoS Computational Biology 4(4): e1000020. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000020, pubmed.gov/18437216
- Pautasso, C., Zimmermann, O., and Leymann, F.  Restful web services vs. “big” web services: making the right architectural decision. In WWW ’08: Proceeding of the 17th international conference on World Wide Web, pages 805-814, DOI:10.1145/1367497.1367606
- Al-Masri, E. and Mahmoud, Q. H.  Investigating web services on the world wide web. In WWW ’08: Proceeding of the 17th international conference on World Wide Web, pages 795-804, DOI:10.1145/1367497.1367605
- Riabov, A., Bouillet, E., Feblowitz, M., Liu, Z., and Ranganathan, A.  Wishful search: interactive composition of data mashups. In WWW ’08: Proceeding of the 17th international conference on World Wide Web, pages 775-784. DOI:10.1145/1367497.1367602
This work is licensed under a
[Great Wall of China picture by d’n’c]