- 2010-05-12 Bibliography 2.0: A citeulike case study from the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus at the The Influence and Impact of Web 2.0 on Various Applications, National e-Science Centre, Edinburgh, UK
- 2010-02-24 Accessing small molecule data using ChEBI at the Hands-on training at EBI – Programmatic Access To Biological Databases (using Perl) EBI, Cambridge, UK
- 2010-02-11 OWL and OBO: Two ontology languages for Biology at the OWL vs. OBO session of the EBI Ontology Interest Group, Cambridge, UK
- 2010-01-22 How to blog at the Ontogenesis Blogging a Book workshop, Manchester, UK
- 2009-09-22 Ontologies, OWL and Protégé in the semantic technologies track at the XML Summer School 2009, St. Edmund Hall, Oxford.
- 2009-08-22 Authenticating Scientists with OpenID in the Faraday Theatre at Science Online London (solo09) at The Royal Institution of Great Britain. (see videos of the programme)
- 2009-07-11 The Invisible Scientist: Personal Digital Identity on the Web, at Science Foo Camp (scifoo) 2009, The Googleplex, Mountain View, California.
- 2009-06-11 Who Are You? Managing collaborative digital identities in bioinformatics with myExperiment, at the Ninth Annual Workshop on Network Tools and Applications in Biology (NETTAB 2009): Technologies, Tools and Applications for Collaborative and Social Bioinformatics Research and Development, 10-12 June 2009, Catania, Siciliy, Italy.
- 2009-05-21 Defrosting the John Rylands University Library, at the John Rylands University Library of Manchester
- 2009-04-23 The Year of Blogging Dangerously: Lessons from the Blogosphere, part of The Scholarly Communication Landscape, Manchester Conference Centre.
- 2009-03-16 Defrosting the Digital Library: Bibliographic tools for the next generation Web, Faculty of Life Sciences, Michael Smith Building, University of Manchester, part of the Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics Seminars
- 2008-10-27 GO faster ChEBI with Reasonable Biochemistry (poster presentation), at OWL: Experiences and Directions (OWLED 2008) Fifth International Workshop, Karlsruhe, Germany, October 26-27, 2008. Available from Nature Precedings DOI:10.1038/npre.2008.2435.1
- 2007-12-04 Adding meaning to your Data, at the BioSapiens Network of Excellence Workshop, Towards semantic integration and interoperability of bioinformatics resources Manchester, UK.
- 2007-09-20 REST or SOAP, which style of service is best for building the Web of Science?, at Web Services workshop, MIB, Manchester, UK.
- 2006-07-21 Deciding Semantic Matching of Stateless Services (<1.0MB) at the Twenty first National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI’06), Boston, MA, USA.
- 2006-03-17 Data integration in myGrid with Taverna (7.3MB) at the First International Workshop on the Interoperability of Biological Information Resources (IBIR’06), Tokyo, Japan. Available from Nature Precedings doi:10.1038/npre.2007.331.1
- 2005-07-29 Introduction to the Web Ontology Language (OWL) and Protégé (4.8MB) with Nick Drummond at the Sixth International XML Summer School 2005 (the “Hogwarts of XML”), Wadham College, Oxford, UK.
- 2005-07-16 Semantic Matching of Biomedical Web Services. Poster session at the Third European Summer School on Ontological Engineering and the Semantic Web (SSSW’05), Cercedilla, Spain.
- 2005-06-10 Describing Web Services for user-oriented retrieval (3.4MB) from the
W3C Workshop on Frameworks for Semantics in Web Services at the Digital Enterprise Research Insitute (DERI), Innsbruck, Austria.
- 2005-02-23 Querying bioinformatics data: where can semantic web services help? (8.5MB) IMG research seminar, Manchester, UK.
- 2004-12-08 Treating shimantic web syndrome with ontologies (1.9MB) from the First AKT workshop on Semantic Web Services (AKT-SWS04), Knowledge Media Institute, The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK.
- 2004-10-17 Web service matching in bioinformatics (<1.0MB) at the e-science sisters programme at the San Diego Super Duper Computer Center, University of California, San Diego, USA.
In the recent past, I have taught the following classes and training courses:
- Second year undergraduate course CS2312: Fundamentals of databases (lab demonstrator 2004-2006) this course has around 200 undergraduate students in Mathematics, Computer Science, Accounting and Bioinformatics each year.
- myGrid and Taverna user training days (demonstrator 2005) around 20 participants three times a year.
- MSc Advanced Computer Science course CS646 The Semantic Web: Ontologies and OWL (occasional loiterer and participant) around 30 students per annum.
- Practical introduction to the Web Ontology Language (OWL) at the XML Summer School (speaker and tutor 2005) around 20 delegates each year from industry and government.
I used to be an active postgraduate mentor, providing informal advice and organising social events for current and prospective PhD students in Computer Science but have now retired from this post.